Importing Dangerous Goods

If you don’t have expert assistance, it can be risky.

The carriage of dangerous goods and in particular, explosives including fireworks, is one of the most regulated areas of transport there is and the UK Border Agency (UKBA) is now obliged to notify Trading Standards on the quality of products being imported into the UK. The legislation, standards and requirements relating to the transportation of dangerous goods by air, sea, road, rail or inland waterways are extremely comprehensive and intricate.

Recent provisions could include extra inspections such as x-rays and the physical examination of goods prior to the final customs clearance of your shipment. 
So if you are arranging the importation (or export) of goods classified as dangerous (which of course includes explosives and fireworks) then you really do require the expert assistance of a customs clearing agent who has a specialist experience in this complex subject. 

Aerona (Air & Sea) Customs Cleaning Agents has a long and successful history in assisting organisations that are importing or exporting dangerous goods. 
Our specialist expertise can help ensure that you meet all your legal obligations including having the correct paperwork, packaging and the necessary official clearance to carry the dangerous goods. In other words, our help and advice will smooth the process and help to ensure that your consignment reaches its destination safely …without any avoidable delays or expense. 

The key is adherence to strict UN regulations that harmonise the rules on all the various methods of transporting dangerous goods into a classification system defining the type of danger that the substances present.


The transportation of explosives is regulated internationally by European Agreements, directives and regulations along with parallel legislation in the UK.   Aerona (Air & Sea) Customs Clearing Agents has been closely involved in assisting customers navigate this complex subject for many years. You can rely on us completely to help you smooth the journey. 

Firstly you are required to correctly classify the explosives you are shipping.  We can help you to manage this so that that all organisations in the supply chain, including emergency authorities, know and understand the hazards and also approve your preparations.
We will also advise you on the assignment of the goods so that they can be categorised into the correct classes – or where applicable – divisions. 
Further information can be found here:

Remember, you the consignor, are responsible for classifying, marking and packing the dangerous goods to meet all regulatory demands. We can help you ensure that you meet all these important commitments. 
If you intend to transport goods by Air or Sea these sites will provide further information:
Air freight:
Sea freight:  and 

Before you can transport any civil explosives you must obtain a Recipient Competent Authority (RCA) document, which grants approval for the transfer. 
An Explosives’ Certificate may also be required:

Also, if you are importing explosives directly from other EU Member States, you will require an Intra Community Transfer Document (ICT) that authorises the transfer through each of the Member States that the explosives will pass.
ICT usually takes 5-working days to process. HSE requires at least 48-hours notice to process an ICT application. 

As you will appreciate, if you are importing or exporting explosives it is an extremely complex area of operation that is fraught with difficulties and regulations. 


If you only intend to supply fireworks during the following periods, you will require an Explosives License. 

•  On the first day of the Chinese New Year and three days immediately before it.
•  On the day of Diwali and three days immediately before it.
•  During the period beginning 15th October and ending on 10th November.
•  During the period beginning on 26th December and ending on 31st December.

If you intend to supply fireworks all year round, you will require a Fireworks Licence in addition to an Explosives Licence.

Your best bet is to contact us for an informal chat so that we can help you ensure that your shipment of dangerous goods, including explosives and fireworks, is not more risky that it needs to be. 

Please note: This information relates to prevailing conditions, rules and regulations.The conclusion of Brexit negotiations may or may not result in some changes.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely.